CFA Society Calgary was established in 1976. As a CFA Institute member society, our society connects members to a global network of investment professionals. CFA Society Calgary currently has more than 1700 members, with just over 90% of our membership holding the Chartered Financial Analyst designation.
The objectives of CFA Society Calgary are to:
- provide a professional society for financial analysts in Calgary,
- foster the interchange of information and opinions among its members,
- promote meetings designed to add to the knowledge of its members,
- foster a high standard of ethics and to promote sound professional standards of investment research among its members, and
- promote a proper public understanding of the functions of security analysis.
CFA Society Calgary runs a year-round program of events aimed primarily at the continuing education of our members, although non-members are also welcome to attend most of our functions. Regular events include the President's Dinner in the fall (in honour of past presidents and new CFA charterholders), and the Forecast Dinner in January (in which prominent members of the investment community offer their predictions for the year ahead).
CFA Society Calgary is the sponsor of the Calgary Portfolio Management Trust, a pool of funds ($450,000) managed by third- and fourth-year students at the Haskayne School of Business at the University of Calgary.
Mission & Values
CFA Society Calgary Mission
To engage the local investment profession and enhance awareness of the CFA charter by building community and promoting the highest standards of ethics, education, and professional excellence.
CFA Society Calgary Vision
The vision of CFA Society Calgary is to be recognized by its members, peers and CFA Institute as an effective and efficient organization that executes core functions well and takes risks intelligently to further the Society's mission.
CFA Society Calgary will abide by the following principles when considering and/or implementing its mission:
- We will reflect the CFA Institute vision and the CFA Society Calgary vision in our actions
- We will reinforce the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct
- We will continue to be an active volunteer-based organization
- We will be a leading provider of programs for CFA Society Calgary members
- We will offer assistance and support to those enrolled in the CFA Program